Our History

In the mid-fifties, the Western District (now the Missouri District) of the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod bought a six-acre truck farm at the intersection of Green Park and Union Roads.  They gathered the leaders of the four surrounding churches – Salem, Christ Memorial, Gethsemane and Peace to inform them of the dream to begin a new church or a consolidated school.  By 1957, Salem left the discussion leaving the remaining three churches to sign the first Constitution and Articles of Incorporation for the State Charter of the Union Lutheran School.  Christ Memorial, Gethsemane and Peace now legally joined hands to provide a Christian Day School for the children of their respective congregations.

GPLS faculty from the 1970's

From 1958-1960, board members of the three associate congregations were busy purchasing the six-acre property for the new school, legalizing the association and searching for a principal and staff.  By April 26, 1959, the property was consecrated with the dream that “our school will be God’s workshop where He will give our children all of His love and wisdom and strength for their lives.” In 1959, the board chose Gethsemane student, Suzanne Gruenert’s entry of Green Park Lutheran School in a naming contest.  Groundbreaking ceremonies on June 12, 1960 included representatives from each church; students, presidents, pastors and the association.

On April 16, 1961, the date stone was set; and by August 27, ten teachers were installed in the new building.  The doors opened for the first time on Tuesday, September 5, 1961 with 355 anxious children.  Resurrection Lutheran Church became the fourth congregational sponsor of the school in 1987, creating the association that exists today.

- The first faculty of Green Park Lutheran School.

Green Park Lutheran School continues to serve these four Lutheran congregations and our entire community. Our history demonstrates the sacrifice, dedication, and determination of concerned and caring people who want to provide a quality Christian education to all children for years to come.  While we are distinctly Lutheran in our teaching and doctrine, about forty percent of our student body consists of children who are not members of our four supporting congregations.